hi all .. my last installment in this series was about 3mo ago at which point the Occupy msg was starting to resonate across the country. boy has it ever! within the last 2 weeks we saw Romney get dinged bigtime over his comments that he "likes to fire people" and the stunning, disorienting revelation/headline that he has significant cash in offshore bank accounts! holy cow! and then gingrich and perry started to debate against him as a predatory capitalist. and then he just lost the south carolina primary! gadzooks!
so yeah its hard to time this stuff these days, but Im gonna unleash my full load of links in celebration of these latest tumultuous, gamechanging events. I think Ive really never seen anything like it in my life....
Im slowly regaining some faith in the public & political process in this country. of course it will never go as far as it should, but it looks like the american public is finally waking up from a 3-decade long slumber in which they believed that Corporations Are Our Friend. now, Im not saying that Government is any more a friend than Corporations-- I wouldnt want to meet either one in a dark alley-- wait, maybe we *have* met both in a dark alley over the last decade-- but these days Government is actually winning the eternal, quixotic, twisted battle of being the Lesser of Two Evils.
so yeah Ive been collecting links on all this like mad, I can barely keep up. thank goodness for bookmark synchronization in chrome! but geez it got screwed up today just as I was about to build this post, costing me valuable time removing duplicate links. @#%&. the stuff I go through to bring you the freshest up-to-the-second posts possible, you cannot believe....!
anyway, all these links tell the story, but Ive broken it up into sections for your delirious surfing expedition. hope you find this useful & engaging. I know I did. & I think maybe we havent seen anything yet.
[race] -- some early articles about how the political race is being affected. also on obamas new populist, its-not-class-warfare tone. amazing, I swear, its like he was reading my blog when he wrote that. or at least one of his speechwriters. a speech that just a half a year ago was inconceivable.
[tactics] -- various tactics being adopted by the occupy party/movement. you know, the simple/obvious stuff like about raising taxes on the rich, banning exotic derivatives, limiting executive pay/perks via options, funding Occupy, etcetera
[strategy] -- this is the more breathtaking stuff where people are seriously talking about reevaluating the basic structure/dynamics of capitalism as-we-know-it. phenomenal, revolutionary.
[99vs1] -- this is where the media expresses its collective shock in the actual facts that the whole 99% vs 1% msg is based on incontrovertible, incontestable, fundamental trends and statistics (now even being reported by govt agencies! shocker!)
[causes] -- the media then asks the question, whats the cause of this? how could this have possibly happened?
[lies] -- whenever there is a massive paradigm shift as we're now experiencing, the old dogma has to be thrown in the trashheap/dustbin of history.
[occupy] -- on the dynamics of the Occupy party making its way into the mainstream, incl the presidents own rhetoric and now [increasingly] his reelection strategy.
[democracy] -- editorials that (gasp) Occupy is good for democracy & changing the dynamics of it.
[vs.tea] -- contrasting the Occupy party with the tea party which now has paled in comparison & looks like its on life support.
[crackdown] -- coverage of some of the harsh physical crackdown that happened on occupy protesters. I salute you guys. if you wanna make an omelette, you have to break some eggs.
[washington] -- media and public discovering that (gasp) after the zillions of lobbyist dollars rained down by corporations, washington is compromised. voters leaving *both* parties in droves. music to my ears man.
[banking] -- on the banking system as a (gasp) CARTEL. yes I actually heard that word in the media recently. blasphemy! also that stuff about corporations hijacking democracy & attempting to buy it out. did anyone notice that?
[pushback] -- plaintive wails and crocodile tears from the fatcats. I guess we know that we're finally starting to have some effect.
- Pro-Gingrich PAC Details Ads Against Romney’s Bain Role - NYTimes.com
- Romney defends 'I like to fire people' remark
- Gingrich pulls back curtain on "predatory" capitalism - Ted Frier - Open Salon
- Romney Parks Millions in Cayman Islands - ABC News
- Michael Tomasky: Obama Finally Seizes the Moment in His Kansas Speech - The Daily Beast
- Editorial: Obama's middle-class speech falls short of a cure – USATODAY.com
- Robert Kuttner: Abolish Credit Default Swaps
- Richard (RJ) Eskow: Tax the Rich! In Fact, Let's Double Their Taxes
- Occupy Wall Street Protest’s Deliberate Use of Messy Signs - The Daily Beast
- 4 Key Questions About the Future of Occupy Wall Street | Occupy Wall Street | AlterNet
- Roger Martin: What CEOs and Hedge Funds Don't Want the 99% to Understand
- 7 Ways to Really Take the Ax to Wall Street | Economy | AlterNet
- A New Declaration of Independence: 10 Ideas for Taking America Back from the 1% | | AlterNet
- Occupy Wall Street finds money brings problems too - Yahoo! News
- Goodbye 'Shop Til You Drop' Mentality: Renegade Band of Economists Call for 'Degrowth' Economy | Economy | AlterNet
- Jeremy Rifkin: How the 99% Are Using Lateral Power to Create a Global Revolution
- Peter Dreier: Occupy Wall Street: Changing the Topic
- The Stunning Victory That Occupy Wall Street Has Already Achieved | Occupy Wall Street | AlterNet
- Occupy Wall Street Trying to Settle on Demands - NYTimes.com
- “What Did We Actually Do Right?” On the Unexpected Success and Spread of Occupy Wall Street | | AlterNet
- Noam Chomsky Speaks to Occupy: If We Want a Chance at a Decent Future, the Movement Here and Around the World Must Grow | | AlterNet
- Keynes vs. Hayek Debate Rages With OWS and Tea Party - The Daily Beast
- America Beyond Capitalism: Is It Possible? | | AlterNet
- Gary Hart: The New Debate About Capitalism
- Thomas Ferguson: How to Take Back Our Political System From the 1% | | AlterNet
- It’s not a conspiracy! Elite controls global economy — RT
- Oligarchy, American Style - NYTimes.com
- Why David Brooks Is Totally Wrong About Income Inequality and the 99% | Economy | AlterNet
- End of America's middle class? 'Two-tiered society' as families are either rich or poor | Mail Online
- Class Segregation: Rich Hunker Down in Wealthy Enclaves -- Leaving the Rest of America's Neighborhoods to Deteriorate | Economy | AlterNet
- Biometric Door Locks and Bulletproof Windows: How Occupy Wall Street Is Scaring the Heck out of the 1% | | AlterNet
- The Super-Rich Haven't Reined in Their Excesses - The Daily Beast
- 10 Fun Facts About the Top 1 Percent | Economy | AlterNet
- 6 Members of Walton Family Have More Money Than 30% of Americans | | AlterNet
- Ehrenreich: The Truth Exposed by Occupy Shows That the Real Elites Are the Thieves of the 1%, Not The Liberals of Conservative Myth | Occupy Wall Street | AlterNet
- Grover Norquist's Real Game: Shifting Power and Wealth to the 1 Percent | Economy | AlterNet
- 50 Facts About The U.S. Economy That Will Shock You - Yahoo! News
- More Conflict Seen Between Rich and Poor, Survey Finds - NYTimes.com
- Harder for Americans to Rise From Lower Rungs - NYTimes.com
- America Has Woken Up to the Reality: Inequality Matters | Take Action | AlterNet
- Jared Bernstein: A More Complete Look at Inequality and Immobility
- U.S. Has Record Number of Millionaires - The Wealth Report - WSJ
- Why the Rich Are Getting Richer | Foreign Affairs
- Five Ways that Financial Elites are Destroying Democracy | News & Politics | AlterNet
- How technology and winner-take-all markets have made income inequality so much worse. - Slate Magazine
- Perpetual National Elections Make the Top 1% Richer | | AlterNet
- Dan Froomkin: 'Wealth Defense Industry' Protects 1% From the Rabble and Its Taxes
- The mathematical law that shows why wealth flows to the 1% | Alok Jha | Comment is free | The Guardian
- U.S. Wages Aren't Keeping Up With U.S. Productivity, EPI Says
- New Study Shows How Golden Parachutes Are Getting Bigger - The Daily Beast
- Apple, America and a Squeezed Middle Class - NYTimes.com
- The Top 0.1% Of The Nation Earn Half Of All Capital Gains - Yahoo! News
- Coburn Report: Welfare for Millionaires - The Daily Beast
- How the GOP Became the Party of the Rich | Politics News | Rolling Stone
- Pew Report on Young-Old Wealth Gap is Misleading and Divisive; Could Fuel Intergenerational Class War | Economy | AlterNet
- Wealth of America's 1% has more than doubled in last 30 years as widening gap between rich and poor is revealed | Mail Online
- Top Earners Doubled Share of Nation’s Income, C.B.O. Says - NYTimes.com
- New numbers: Income for top 1 percent skyrocketed over last 30 years | The Lookout - Yahoo! News
- The Shocking, Graphic Data That Shows Exactly What Motivates the Occupy Movement | Occupy Wall Street | AlterNet
- 8 Reasons Young Americans Don't Fight Back: How the US Crushed Youth Resistance | Activism & Vision | AlterNet
- The Sick Social Darwinism Driving Modern Republicans | Tea Party and the Right | AlterNet
- Rich People DON'T Create Jobs: 6 Myths That Have to Be Killed for Our Economy to Live | Economy | AlterNet
- The Absurd Zombie Lie About the Economy Right-Wingers Desperately Cling To -- And Why It's Totally Wrong | Tea Party and the Right | AlterNet
- Why Are We Forced to Worship at the Feet of 'Mythical' Financial Markets Controlled by the Elite? | Economy | AlterNet
- If You Are Not Outraged, You Are Not Paying Attention: 5 Major Ways Corporate Elites Are Degrading America | Occupy Wall Street | AlterNet
- GOP Propaganda Guru Scared to Death of Occupy -- 10 Ways He's Trying to Spin the Movement | | AlterNet
- How the Bitter Elitists at Fox News Keep Trying -- And Failing -- to Dampen Support for Occupy Wall Street | Media | AlterNet
- Blatantly Biased Tabloids and Clueless Mainstream Media Keep Missing the Obvious Big Story at OWS | | AlterNet
- Greenspan's Laissez Fairy Tale: How Flawed Economic Theories Fail to Account for Financial Fraudsters | Economy | AlterNet
- Occupy Wall Street: The Primary the President Never Had? | | AlterNet
- The Occupy Movement’s Common Thread Is Anger - NYTimes.com
- Gandhi’s Wings: Occupy Wall Street and the Redistribution of Anxiety | | AlterNet
- Ali Hayat: Occupy Wall Street Movement: More Reasonable Than Radical
- We May Be Witnessing the First Large Global Conflict Where People Are Aligned by Consciousness and Not Nation State or Religion | Activism & Vision | AlterNet
- Reawakening The Radical Imagination: The Origins Of Occupy Wall Street
- The Moral Force of OWS is Tackling the Devastating War on the Poor | | AlterNet
- Bill Gates takes OWS message to G20 — RT
- How Occupy Wall Street Works | Foreign Affairs
- Occupy Wall Street is Transforming its Participants, Our Country, and Democracy | | AlterNet
- The New Progressive Movement - NYTimes.com
- The Fight for 'Real Democracy' at the Heart of Occupy Wall Street | Foreign Affairs
- That Didn't Take Long -- Occupy Wall Street Already Being Exploited by Corporate Interests | Occupy Wall Street | AlterNet
- Wall St. Protest Isn’t Like Ours, Tea Party Says - NYTimes.com
- The Tea Party vs. Occupy Wall Street: Guess Which One is the Real Populist Movement | | AlterNet
- Why Occupy Wall Street is Not the Tea Party of the Left | Foreign Affairs
- Thomas Frank: How the Right Wing Hijacked Rage Over the Economic Collapse and Swindled America | | AlterNet
- Oakland Police Violence Raises the Stakes for the OWS Movement | Occupy Wall Street | AlterNet
- Are Federal Officials Pushing a Nationwide Crackdown on the Occupy Wall Street Movement? | Media | AlterNet
- Harsh NYPD Action May Reinvigorate Occupy Wall Street Movement - The Daily Beast
- Wall Street's 'Charging Bull' stays corralled: Police guard statue during N.Y. 'Occupy' protest | NJ.com
- Washington vs the Rest of America: When Will Politicians Realize the 99% Demand a Just System, Not Cynical Tinkering at the Edges? | Economy | AlterNet
- Peter Schweizer's New Book Blasts Congressional Corruption - The Daily Beast
- The Get-Rich Congress - The Daily Beast
- Occupy Wall Street: How Cash Has Corrupted Congress - The Daily Beast
- Occupied Washington | Mother Jones
- How the Legal System Was Deep-Sixed to Serve Elite America and Occupy Wall Street Became Inevitable | Economy | AlterNet
- Robert Reich: The State of Our Disunion: A Globalized Private Sector, A Corporate-Dominated Public Sector
- Why Wall Street Is Grudglingly Supporting Obama - The Daily Beast
- Voters are leaving main parties in droves – USATODAY.com
- Wall St's Latest Shameless Ploy to Fleece You | World | AlterNet
- Lynn Forester de Rothschild: 2012: The Year of the Independent?
- Which Bank Is the Worst for America? 5 Behemoths That Hold Our Political System Hostage | | AlterNet
- Has the Dying Bank of America Managed to Ensure Its Next Taxpayer Bailout? | | AlterNet
- Four Things Occupy Wall Street Should Know About the Federal Reserve | Occupy Wall Street | AlterNet
- Secret Fed Loans Gave Banks $13 Billion Undisclosed to Congress - Bloomberg
- How Bankers Saved the World From a Euro Meltdown - The Daily Beast
- 6 Shocking Revelations About Wall Street's "Secret Government" | Economy | AlterNet
- Fed Faces New Scrutiny for Trillions in Assistance to Banks After Crisis | PBS NewsHour | Nov. 29, 2011 | PBS
- Bail-out Bombshell: Fed "Emergency" Bank Rescue Totaled $29 Trillion Over Three Years | Economy | AlterNet
- Fed Once-Secret Loan Crisis Data Compiled by Bloomberg Released to Public - Bloomberg
- The Big Lie - Wall Street has destroyed the wonder that was America. - The Daily Beast
- Bob Burnett: 2011: The Year Corporations Attacked Democracy
- Revolution Through Banking? | The Nation
- Vampire Squid Watch: 4 Scary Economic Trends for 2012 | | AlterNet
- Brian Basham: Beware corporate psychopaths – they are still occupying positions of power - Business Comment - Business - The Independent
- How Wall Street Turned a Crisis Into a Cartel: William D. Cohan - Bloomberg
- JP Morgan Chase’s Jamie Dimon Strikes Back at Populist Anger - The Daily Beast
- Bankers Seek to Debunk Attack on Top 1% - Bloomberg
- New Budget Office Income Report Fuels Media’s Rich-Get-Richer Fiction - The Daily Beast
- Wall St's Latest Shameless Ploy to Fleece You | World | AlterNet
vzn essays on economics
- occupy party reaches critical mass/seismic effect--now what?
- occupy wall street-- my speech to the masses
- wealth disparity, main causes of-- the battle for USA's soul
- Corporatocracy, our New Reality.. whats the answer?
- CLASS WARFARE-- is it really such a bad thing?
- Globalization.. the Big Scam/Sham/Farce/Lie
- ayn rand, hickman, and a new, nuanced theory of regulation
- fed audit tipping point close? or too good to be true?
- save the economy!! audit the fed!! slice the parasite(s)!!
- ideas on fixing capitalism-- "rising tide" taxes, simplify!