- Ottawa, Canada
- December 15
- Greetings! I am a terminal music fan who will be writing about my life as a concertgoer from 1975 to the present. It’s about the music but also about the lives lived along with it. Many entries will feature a scan of the original ticket as well as a recollection of each gig as a whole experience rather than simply being a description of the performance. Therefore, this blog will be a mixture of memoir, concert review, music history, and philosophical musing. Concurrently, I will be writing about shows that I am seeing in the present.
Thanks to Cublet for artwork assistance. **** I’m on Facebook (www.facebook.com/
mylifeinconcert) ... and have just launched a YouTube channel, VATV (www.youtube.com/user/
mylifeinconcert). I also re/cross-post on my stand-alone blog (mylifeinconcert.wordpress.com). Non-OS members who wish to comment can do so over at that site. *****
MY RECENT POSTS
- My Life — In Concert!
022c.David Bowie w/Rough
March 09, 2013 05:18PM
- 022b. Changes: Bowie, The 70s,
& Me (Pt.2)
March 09, 2013 05:11PM
- 022a: Space Oddity: Bowie, The
70s, & Me (Pt.1)
March 07, 2013 06:45PM
- 20/12: My Musical Favourites
and Re/Discoveries of Last
February 16, 2013 03:06PM
- Cracks in Our Marriage on Our
3rd (or 14th?) Anniversary
September 01, 2012 04:24PM
MY RECENT COMMENTS
- “Then there are the
two-faced who can be both at
- “We've debated this
terrain extensively through
the years at
May 09, 2013 11:47PM
- “What you are talking
about includes consent,
May 09, 2013 11:38PM
- “Beautiful, ethereal
piece, Algis. Feel glad that
caught the end of
May 01, 2013 11:26PM
- “It's good that May is a
lusty month, as April is
cruellest month according
May 01, 2013 11:23PM
- The 2010s
- The 1990s and 2000s
- The 1980s
- The 1970s
022c. Let’s Dance: David Bowie with Rough Trade, CNE Stadium, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Saturday September 3, 1983, $22.50
Ten years on from my hearing "Space Oddity," I finally get to see and hear Bowie live during the Serious Moonlight tour.
After a break of several months — which
included the temporary collapse of Open Salon — I’m
returning to writing and to the My Life
— In Concert! series. But first,
my annual recap ...
Rarely have I been so happy to put a year/… Read full post »
Flaunt the Imperfection: Cracks In Our Marriage On Our 3rd (or 14th?) Anniversary
Our rings on our wedding day. (Photo by Claude Wauthier)
I don’t know why I did it. I truly don’t. What was I thinking? It was a ridiculous, reckless thing to do. And/… Read full post »
173. Hold On Me: Esperanza Spalding with Gretchen Parlato, Toronto Jazz Festival, Nathan Phillips Square, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Thursday June 28, 2012, $48.25.
This was one hot show, in both good and bad senses.It was less than one week after experiencing the brilliant Janelle Mon&a… Read full post »
172. Locked Inside: Janelle Monáe with Roman GianArthur and the David Mott Quintet, Ottawa Jazz Festival, Confederation Park, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Saturday June 23, 2012, $49.
Locked inside, in the great outdoors.
It was the perfect summer afternoon and ev… Read full post »
The route from London to Mosport Speedway (Google Maps).For Out On A Limb’s Open Call for Reposts, I am republishing the final section of my four-part piece about the Heatwave festival in August 1980. While it was one of the best festivals I've ever attended, thi… Read full post »
021. Dangerous Acquaintances: Marianne Faithfull, Fryfogle’s, London, Ontario, August 15, 1983, $12.50
Marianne comes to town on a steamy August Monday evening. It was a night of thigh-slappin' rythms, contented smiles ... and dangerous acquaintances.
Marianne Fa… Read full post »
It's been A Hard Year's Night ... (Thanks to Cublet for the photos of Thurston and I).
020b. Waiting In Vain: 20 Performances I Missed, 1980-2011
XTC at Centennial Hall, London, Ontario, Monday November 24, 1980. Too bad the show never happened (Thanks to MZ for the scan of her handbill).
You’ve got the warm ticket in your hot little hands, anticipation… Read full post »
020a. You Won’t See Me: 20 Acts I Wish I’d Seen
(Top 20 Colour Cube by VA)
For those of you who go out to see live music, you know that part of going to shows is not going to shows. Concerts are cancelled, plans change, unforseen events present themselves,… Read full post »
056. Stoned Soul Picnic: Laura Nyro, Music Hall Theatre, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Saturday July 15, 1989, $17.50
A night of reverie.
171. Chameleon/Comedian: Kathleen Edwards with Hannah Georgas, Bronson Centre, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Thursday February 9, 2012, $43.50.
My 2012 concert-going begins with this magnificent show from returning hometown hero, Kathleen Edwards.
Back around the turn of the century (i… Read full post »
170b. Beat and the Pulse: Etc #7 2008-2011 Part Two with Austra, Stephen Malkmus & the Jicks, and Carole Pope.
A Note To My Regular Readers: As some of you may have noticed (with a few of you contacting me directly about this), I have been publishing and commenting on
… Read full post »
170a. The Shape I'm In: Etc #7 2008-2011 Part One featuring Rush, Cyndi Lauper, John Hiatt, the Levon Helm Band, and comedian Margaret Cho.
NOTE: Over the course of this series, I will occasionally be publishing compilation pieces that are a collection of encapsulated re… Read full post »
Returning from a break with a recap of some of my personal music-related highlights of 2011 (as I had done with 2010) before picking back up with my series next time around (Photos by VA).
Every decade has a few key years that seem to hit the jackpot in terms… Read full post »
Season's Greetings from Schlitz. And Joan from Mad Men (Life, December 1960) .
Part 1 of my look at Christmas advertising from 1949 until now focussed on gift giving: which items have been singled out as worthy from then until now, and how they have been flog/… Read full post »
Which of you ladies out there wouldn’t be simply delighted to find a Borg Scale under your tree this Christmas? No? Well, the woman in the ad doesn’t look too convinced either. And that’s Madonna, right? (detail below).
Christmas is the season o… Read full post »
019. Walking on the Moon: Police Picnic III featuring The Police, Peter Tosh, James Brown, King Sunny Adé, Blue Peter, and The Fixx, CNE Stadium, Toronto, Ontario, Canada, Friday August 5, 1983, $20.
Three consecutive summers of Police Picnics — and four consecutive summers of mu… Read full post »
169. Do U Lie?: Prince, Scotiabank Place, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, Saturday December 3, 2011, $165.24.
One of the most frustrating experiences in 36 years of concert going.
"Ever get the feeling you’ve been cheated?" — Johnny Rotten/Lydon at the end of the Sex Pistols… Read full post »
018. I Keep A Close Watch: John Cale with Sheep Look Up, Fryfogle's, London, Ontario, Canada, Monday June 13, 1983, $n/a.
I do not have a ticket for this show, so a big Thank You to MZ for this handbill scan from her collection.
Given my life-long obsession with music of… Read full post »
017. Fucked Up Once Again: Flipper, Fryfogle's, London, Ontario, Canada, May 1983, $n/a, with Guest Contributor M. Zeppelin.
I do not have a ticket for this gig. Instead, here is the cover of their second album, 1984's Gone Fishin', featuring a cut out their famed Flipper Touring… Read full post »
168. Trees Outside the Academy: 2011 Ottawa Folk Festival with Thurston Moore, Bright Eyes, Tom Morello/The Nightwatchman, and The Little Stevies, Hog’s Back Park, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, August 27-28, 2011, $39.50 per night.
I have written about my love of collecting vintage magazines via my pieces chronicling the motherlode of copies of Life that I lucked into last year as well as the issue of Maclean’s that was synchronous with a Season Four Mad Men episode. While it’s always great to find… Read full post »