“Take a chance on Me!” Occupy!
I am not sure about the rest of you, but I am on every donation list imaginable, it appears. Democracy apparently costs an arm and a leg these days. That is Democracy of the Democratic, progressive kind anyway. The Republican political agenda doesn't cost that much as the corporate personhoods are picking up the tab for their stuff.
So here are a few guidelines for the remaining months of the election.
The Lucky Seven
1. If you have money and are progressive, you might want to donate to the campaigns, non-profits and such that actually represent your idea of this nation, government, freedoms and rights.
2. As we are the usually considered the 99% and those are the people without the rich corporate personhoods to pay their way for them, we don't have a lot of money, or extra money, or any money as the case may be. That does not mean you have no voice. You can write, you can email, you can march, and you can open your window up and scream. You can vote and ask your neighbor too. It is after all a fact; it does not cost money to vote. It costs people money to get you to vote for them. You do not have to vote for the person whose campaign spends the most for your vote. You can read online, or in newspapers about the candidates in your area. You can ask questions, you can work on their campaigns if you have time and you can vote for them. They would like to represent you, not corporations. They are on your issues.
3. Participating in your Democracy does not cost money. Negative campaigning, direct mail pieces and robo calls cost money. All that is what is inundating many campaigns, progressive and conservative alike. People make money off of campaigns. What if no money was to be made? How about this? You write a blog about who you think you will vote for and why. You do a You Tube about who you vote for and why, you post links on these to face book. You use every single free thing to promote your ideas, your candidates and your kind of democracy. In the early stages of our nation, we did it in similar fashion. We got up close and personal to each other and talked, and shared and inspired and argued. We discussed. When that did not always work, there were marches, fights, demonstrations and even war. Just like drones which spy and bomb, corporate personhood is trying to do the same thing with their conservative, far right or greedy message, saturate the media, spin as much as they can to get votes and rush in and out before you are aware of their real motives. Work to rid your area of drone politics.
4. Once you start getting the right people in leadership, then you tighten the reign on them. You do not let them get and act on undue influence that is really against your interests and the interests of this nation. Demand strong rules regarding lobbying. You can do that by being “present”. You communicate with your representatives, verbally, in writing, via email, and in any other way possible. You engage them in the people's business, not the monkey business of big money. The 1 % has had a stranglehold on this economy long enough. They have told enough lies with so much hot air, that, if collected, they could raise the Titanic, or more likely Atlantis. A couple of elections with this kind of control, and everyone will get the message. Even a wild horse can be broken.
5. Don't think you can't make change. If you are going to blow it all up and say that all politicians lie, nothing is worth doing anything about, the big lies and big money always win; then how do you explain the civil rights movement? How do you explain a woman's right to vote, to choose, contraception rights, the end of slavery, voter rights, property rights, 40 hour work week, no child labor and such? Some politicians do lie, some change their minds. Now, if those things can be won, they can also be lost, actually that and much more. They, those crazy conservatives led by the 1%, are trying to overturn much of it now, appealing to every blind prejudice and scam to make you believe that is on their agenda. Why? Subterfuge for power grabbing, so that no matter what they actually do or don't do, you will be spinning from all this other stuff and they can do what they want. They can make even more money for themselves and any speculation that they think they want. They don't care about you or this country. They care about themselves. That is how we got into this economic mess.
6. Now, many of you will not like this point. There is something going on in this country to fight against and you know what we are fighting for. We are fighting for our America, the one that we thought as kids we belonged to. It is still there underneath all this mound of mud, greed, pain and indifference, soaked in foreign oil and drenched in gasoline. If you still want it, before it goes up in flames, you are going to have to fight for it. In any way you can. I would advise any legal way, but as they continue to "modify" our civil rights, you might just have to accept that if you want things better, you are going to have to get involved, get your hands dirty and that might mean even more than that. Do not be afraid. You are not alone. We are not at that stage yet. If you do what is suggested above, then you might help turn this red tide around in this country.
7. Okay, I know, you never pictured yourself in a fight. Well, come to think of it, neither did the Revolutionaries or the Civil War folks. There were fights though. People died and we set some things down in law as a result of it. We came together for the sake of the nation in the end, for a uniting of its people. I have no doubt when all of our crazy conservative and far right brothers and sisters see the light; they will be embarrassed to realize how they have been duped by the Republicans into thinking that they were going to be a real part of something in this country. Folks, it is all about the 1%. They have prostituted themselves for every vote they can get to have the pretense of legality to go about their dirty, greedy work. Settle down you Christian conservatives. You can still believe all your stuff, because this is a free nation. Just don't try to shove it down everyone's throat.
This piece is intended to give progressives and those fed up with trying to buy their country back from the 1% some important feedback and encouragement. So buzz off wackadoodles.
Thank you Abba! Take a chance on yourself. Don’t look for a hero, unless you are looking in the mirror. It is up to you.
Copyright 2012 by SheilaTGTG55