This article on departing Califonria businesses is partially a rehash of an earlier piece, but points out that Sacramento has no clue what is happening outside their "beltway."
- San Diego, California, USA
- August 24
- San Diego Tax Fighters
- Biography of Richard Rider
(Updated July, 2011)
San Diego, CA 92131
* AGE: 66
* EDUCATION: B.A. Economics, University of North Carolina, 1968
* MILITARY SERVICE: Commander, Supply Corps, U. S. Naval Reserve, retired after 26 years (four years active, the rest in the reserve).
** OCCUPATION: Retired stockbroker and financial planner. Lifetime member of the International Association of Financial Planners. Former business owner.
• Chairman, San Diego Tax Fighters
• National Taxpayers Union
• Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association
• San Diego County Taxpayers Association
* POLITICAL ACTIVITIES:
• Successfully sued the county of San Diego (Rider vs. County of San Diego) to force a rollback of an illegal 1/2-cent jails sales tax, a precedent that saved California taxpayers over fourteen billion dollars, including $3.5 billion for San Diego taxpayers.
• Actively supported a variety of tax-cutting ballot initiatives including Proposition 13. Has written ballot arguments against numerous county and state tax increase initiatives.
• County co-chair of both California term limit initiatives (Prop 140 and Prop 164).
• Libertarian Party candidate for governor in 1994.
• Candidate for the 3rd District County Supervisor in 1992 (third place among six candidates with about 20% of the vote).
• 1993 – appointed to (and then elected chair of) the San Diego County Social Services Advisory Board.
• 1996 – appointed as a Commissioner on the California Constitution Revision Commission by state Assembly Speaker Kurt Pringle.
• Has been involved in legal actions against City of San Diego to force a public vote on issuing bonds for Qualcomm stadium expansion, convention center, baseball ballpark and other projects.
• 2005 – Unsuccessful candidate for Mayor of San Diego, though his reform ideas have since taken hold.
• 2007 – Columnist for NORTH COUNTY TIMES and SAN DIEGO DAILY TRANSCRIPT
• 2009 - The Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association's "California Tax Fighter of the Year"
* FAMILY: Married. Wife, Diane, is a retired public high school teacher. Two sons, ages 32 and 27.
MY RECENT POSTS
- Looks like I'm done with Open
September 21, 2012 06:08PM
- Dismal federal fiscal facts to
September 17, 2012 10:19AM
- Ballotpedia.org: Great source
on elections -- or not.
September 15, 2012 11:39AM
- Proof that I'm a racist
(according to braying
September 02, 2012 01:08PM
- Minimum wage keeps teens out
August 31, 2012 03:33PM
MY RECENT COMMENTS
- “The funny part is that
true believers continue to
April 24, 2011 01:55PM
- “We should never forget
that Next 10 was one of the
(if not the
February 20, 2011 02:42PM
- “Excellent idea, Bob.
Indeed, I've been hyping the
August 12, 2010 04:58PM
- “Thanks for the "comment"
guidance. Can one go back
September 24, 2009 11:19AM
- “As I said before Robin,
I don't do one-on-one
September 24, 2009 10:51AM
Richard Rider's Links
- MY LINKS
Richard Rider's Favorites
- No relations made yet.