We've been sitting at the railroad crossing for nearly a year now, fiddling with the car radio. Finally, the candy cane colored arms hoist themselves, and the caboose materializes out of the haze, signaling an end to the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Eleven.
I'm not going to sum up an entire year in one post. Two many tangents exist to avoid droning ad nauseum regarding all of the year's significant events, so I've decided to focus on the most important happenings—
I'm doing this for me, and I'm doing this for you, because I guarantee you'll feel better about yourself after reviewing some of the activities which made headlines during 2011, as tabulated by the most trusted name in journalism this side of NPR: starpulse.com.
10) Reality star Kim Kardashian announces the end of her seventy-two-day marriage to Kris "I make the scarecrow look like Steven Hawking" Humphries, after a star-studded multimillion-dollar television wedding.
Be happy for these kids, folks. And let them keep all the wedding gifts as tokens of our gratitude for not having children.
9) A highly motivated hacker releases nude photos obtained from Scarlett Johansson's cell phone.
Definitely an invasion of privacy, but a scandal? For Pete's sake, I'd trade in my forty-nine-year-old male body for her younger, female version tomorrow, accepting all ridicule and gender confusion for the opportunity to explore its wonders on evenings and weekends.
8) In another matrimonial shocker, Playboy Playmate Crystal Harris called off her nuptials to ancient mogul Hugh Hefner just five days prior to their planned event, but keeping her engagement ring and placing it up for auction.
If I were Hef, I'd turn right around and post to EBay that bedazzled hemorrhoid donut she knitted me for my one-hundred-and-eighth birthday.
7) Demi Moore splits with her husband of six years, Ashton Kutcher, after learning that he engaged in unprotected sex with another woman...on the couple's anniversary, to boot!
Of all the lowdown, scumbag moves. According to Moore, Kutcher could have saved the marriage simply by using the custom-printed condoms she bought him which magically transform upon arousal from "I'm a bass" to "I'm a cheating dumbass."
6) Maria Shriver dumps hubby Arnold Shwarzenegger after discovering that his un-American activities have resulted in a prolonged dalliance and subsequent son with their long-time housekeeper.
Come on, Mr. Olympia. I realize you've spent countless thousands of hours in the gym honing that physique, but you should have devoted a little more time to the clean and jerk, if you know what I mean.
5) Charlie Sheen flips out and slaughters his sitcom cash cow, "Two and a Half Men," inventing a few new terms along the way.
I've taken some time to translate. "Winning" means "smoking a fist-sized rock. "Warlock" is a guy who smokes fist-sized rocks. "Tiger blood" is blood containing the contents of a fist-sized rock.
4) Miley Cyrus is photographed sucking a large bong toke.
Miley, your father is Billy Ray Cyrus. Brain cells should be as precious to you as a quaff of Pellegrino in the freaking Sahara.
3) Teeny bop pop star Justin Bieber is accused of fathering a child with a twenty-year-old fan.
Isn't testing for Bieber's paternity ability sort of like asking for the tattoo department of a Mormon bookstore?
2) Chris Brown, hip hopper extraordinaire, goes ballistic in his "Good Morning America" dressing room after being questioned about punching out girlfriend Rihanna in 2009, breaking glass and generally trashing the premises.
Classy move, Chris. What better way to show that you've changed your violent ways.
1) Lindsay Lohan, in between jail and rehab stints, manages to find time to pose for "Playboy," not once, but twice, due to a reshoot.
You go, Lin Lin. Always ahead of the curve, I've heard that you've made pasty, toothless and strung out the new healthy, organic look for 2012.
I guess that's it. Feel better about yourself now? I know I do.
I wish I could have presented this list to my wife a while back after asking her co-worker when the baby was due.
She wasn't pregnant.
- Seattle, Washington,
- August 28
- I'm a middle-aged dad, clinging to my daughters' waning youth and my sanity.
MY RECENT POSTS
- It’s Not Like Pulling Teeth.
March 04, 2015 03:43PM
- Your Pre-Primary Presidential
February 19, 2015 07:25PM
- Oh yeah, and one last thing: I
hate the Patriots.
February 06, 2015 04:07PM
- Super Bowl XLIX: New England
vs. That Team From Out West.
January 20, 2015 02:45PM
- A Last Look in the Rearview.
January 06, 2015 06:42PM
MY RECENT COMMENTS
- “I hear you, Cuss. I've
liked the Jets since Broadway
Love to see them get
February 06, 2015 11:33PM
- “Lyle and Boa,
liking the Canadian
connection. Luke and Jon seam
January 20, 2015 05:42PM
- “For a little while after
my first kid was born, I went
little crazy whenever
January 09, 2015 08:56PM
- “Thanks, Jane. We can all
learn from walking a mile in
November 04, 2014 06:45PM
- “Lyle, I like the way you
think. It's a form
October 21, 2014 06:22PM
Reflections of a shallow pond's Links
- MY LINKS