1. The fall of regimes in the middle east. Who would have thought the protest movements in Egypt, Libya and Syria would all happen in the same year?
2. Occupy Wall Street. The rise of the 99% movement may chart the course of the debate in the 2012 elections.
3. The moribund slate of GOP candidates running for President is enough to make any reasonably person presumably run for the exits.
4. The nuclear accident in Japan, and the fact that no one even mentions in the news these days in the U.S.
5. The execution of Osama bin Laden and that fact he was living in plain sight in Pakistan.
6. The Republicans in Congress who failed to follow their oath of office (to protect the Constitution of the United States from all enemies foreign and domestic) to focus on the the oath(to never raise taxes) they took to Grover Norquist, who on more than one occasion wants to destroy the government of the United States of America, an admitted anarchist.
7. Judge Jed Rakoff's ruling rejecting the SEC settlement with Citibank and ordering a trial instead.
8. The passage of Gay Marriage in New York State and the two heroic Republicans that voted in favor of its passage.
9. That absolutely nothing was done by the U.S. Congress to reduce the unemployment crisis.
10. The Murdoch family crisis and the demise of The News of the World in Britain.
What are your surprises in the News?