Mimi's Big Blog o' Theory

Some chick's thoughts on God, life, and the universe

Michelle Motoyoshi

Michelle Motoyoshi
Location
California,
Birthday
March 22
Bio
I don't know anything about this blogger business. I'm just a concerned nobody with something to say and access to the internet -- What? That's what a blogger is? Oh...

MY RECENT POSTS

Michelle Motoyoshi's Links

MY LINKS
APRIL 2, 2009 8:51PM

Study Studies Studies

Rate: 2 Flag

This was originally posted at the following site.

http://farce.cynicmag.com/default.asp?week=1&issueid=72

In a recent study of studies, researchers discovered that 90% of studies show nothing.  The other 10% of studies indicate that those 90% of studies are representative of most studies.


The study results confounded the study’s principal investigator, Dr. I.M. Wright from Fauk University. “We were certain our study would show that studies show something,” he remarked.  “But it looks like we were wrong.”
Dr. Wright attributes the study’s surprising results to the results of studies.  “Studies obviously don’t result in the sort of results studies were expected to result in.  Instead, studies produce results that result in studies that produce no results.” 


While those who conduct studies may be concerned by these findings, Dr. Wright says there is no cause for alarm.  Although 90% of studies showed studies showed nothing initially, a full 42% of studies showed that they would show something with further study. 


“42 is a very encouraging number,” Dr. Wright concluded.


Other scholars in the field are less optimistic and have questioned Dr. Wright’s methods.  Dr. U.R. Wong from Southern Utah College of Knowledge Studies commented, “It’s clear that the study that shows that studies show nothing is based on a biased sample of studies.  A better sample of studies might result in a higher percentage of studies that show something a higher percentage of the time.” 


Dr. Wong suggests grouping studies according to size and over-sampling within those groups that are underrepresented.  This would result in larger samples with less variation within groups, resulting in more reliable results.  “It’s an effective method validated by years of study. Using it, we have effectively identified studies whose results show results.”


Dr. Wright stands by his method and his numbers.  “Our study of studies is the most progressive and comprehensive study of studies to date.  That our study shows that studies show nothing really shows something.”
Both Dr. Wright and Dr. Wong conceded, however, that more studies were needed to draw any firm conclusions.

 

 

Your tags:

TIP:

Enter the amount, and click "Tip" to submit!
Recipient's email address:
Personal message (optional):

Your email address:

Comments

Type your comment below: