For many years I have been a fan of the Bravo show, "Inside The Actors Studio". Host James Lipton, Dean Emeritus of the Actors Studio MFA Drama program, has interviewed nearly 200 of the world's most accomplished actors, directors, musicians, and comedians, allowing viewers a unique, inside look at the craft of acting. This is not a celebrity interview show a la "E". The interviews are intelligent, insightful, and thought-provoking; giving us a glimpse at the people behind the personas.
At the end of each show, Lipton concludes his interview by having his guest answer a "questionnaire" that he credits to novelist Marcel Proust and French talk show host Bernard Pivot. It is a treat to hear each subject answer this list of simple, yet insightful questions. Now, OS members, it's your turn.
Below you will find the 10 questions asked each week by James Lipton, along with my answers. Your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to provide your own answers. You may leave them as comments or, if you choose to write a companion piece, please send me a message so that I may read it. Let's have some fun.
1. What is your favorite word? "Curiosity" If first we don't wonder why, we never reach the answer.
2. What is your least favorite word? "Hero" This answer has changed for me in recent years. Hero has become the most overused word in our lexicon. So much so that it's true meaning and impact have been lost.
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually, or emotionally? Any time I see or hear someone challenge the status quo. I read a quote years ago that I have lived my life by: "Sacred cows make great steaks."
4. What turns you off? Condescension and patronization. It simply diminishes everyone involved.
5. What is your favorite curse word? (Everyone's favorite question) "Fuck" It's just so versatile. Think of the many contexts in which you can use this word.
6. What sound or noise do you love? The full, unrestrained sound of a child laughing. Can you ever hear a real belly laugh and not start chuckling yourself?
7. What sound or noise do you hate? I'm sorry if this answer sounds ordinary, but I truly hate the sound of fingernails on a chalkboard. Just reading these words has some of you cringing, right?
8. What profession other than your own would like to attempt? I have two. I wish I could be either an actor or a writer.
9. What profession would you not like to do? (This kinda relates to the current Open Call about the worst job ever) Trucker. The idea of sitting behind the wheel and driving eight, ten or more hours every day is unfathomable. I have the utmost respect for those who perform this most necessary job.
10. If Heaven exists, what would like to hear God say when you arrive at the pearly gates? "It was close, but you made it!"
Come on, now, OS. Let's see how many different responses we can get.