so there it is.
There it is, a short two days of work. Do I like it? Yeah, it's all right. Do I think I'll do it in the future? Maybe. Am I glad I did the workshop? Absolutely yes. He was a great teacher and the workshop was great. I learned a LOT. The party last night was also great. So, though I've accomplished little this weekend, a good time was had by all.
I'll have to talk with you about the conversation on Friday. My head is full! Tonight is vampire night, which will be a distraction. With everything that happened, I'm exhausted. I'm going to take a bath to separate the day from the night, and rest my back which is sore. I'm not used to doing so much hammering.
Sorry, I've got nothing. Might nap. How are you?
I think the subject of my dumb, Irish luck
as been broached before. It swings in both directions, crazy good to unbelievably bad. C and I headed down to the SOFA show this morning. I thought it'd be fun to get off the couch and into the world and I like going to stuff like that. 90% of the art I have no interest in, but the other 10% is worth the trip. We are within sight of Navy Pier and C is grumbling about going. We have words, nothing horrible, about if he didn't want to go, why did he? It's going to cost us x amount of money just to walk in the door and park and I'd like to be with someone who is enjoying himself. We decide to go and make the best of it. As we are standing in line, a German man approaches me and hands me his VIP card. He says he's going home and it's good for three people, then he disappears as I am mumbling, "Thanks" trying to figure out what just happened. So, we got in free. We had lunch in the VIP Lounge overlooking the skyline and the lake.
was well represented at the show with a booth and some eager looking students. The best pieces of art I saw were two knit pieces from a Chinese girl. The fiber was made from Chinese newspapers. I have that tactile problem and I wanted to touch it so bad. The dealer said some of the newspapers were true and some were Chinese propaganda. I couldn't figure out how the paper was spun.
These two pieces were huge. The only thing I could come up with was that it had to be knit while it was wet. The knitting was perfect also. Cabling and decreases. So impressive.
More impressive than the art was how fast I offended and drove off the dealer. It has also been established my inadvertent and purely innocent knack for offending my fellow man. (Do you need to be reminded of the pregnant woman I made cry at Whole Foods?) I'm chatting up the dealer about the knit pieces, asking her if she knew how the fiber was spun. Missy MFA says no, but isn't it impressive how the artist worked the red horizontally across the piece? I proceeded to explain to her that the red stripes were not intentional. That the piece was worked horizontally and if the red came up in the fiber, your next couple of stitches would be red. It was random and not purposeful. She was so done with me and walked away, her parting shot being, "Isn't it impressive that the artist is only 23?" Missy MFA may not know her knitting, but she sure knew how to put a girl in her place.
Lastly. Did you listen to that Posies song, "Second Time Around?" It's about Auer's second marriage. I haven't decided if it depresses me because of my situation, or hopeful because of my situation. I'm going to listen to it a few dozen more times and work it out.
Talk with you later!