In recent months, as I've turned my attention to Salon and helping prepare it for a redesign and many new features, Thomas Rogers has nimbly overseen Open Salon, carefully choosing Editor's Picks and consistently building fascinating and entertaining covers for Open Salon. It can be a tricky, contentious position and he's done a terrific job -- so much so that we're roping him into some new plans at Salon, helping develop a few new sections. That means he'll soon be leaving his day-to-day role with Open Salon.
Don't worry about missing us: We're both sticking around here, and will be back often to . . . well, more on that later!
For now: We're hiring an Open Salon editor. Responsibilities will include:
• Curating Open Salon content, and helping incorporate it into Salon's overall editorial content
• Working closely with Salon's engineering staff on project planning and site troubleshooting
• Working closely with key Salon editorial staff
• Blogging and writing for Open
• 3 years experience in journalism and/or online media
• Strong understanding of new media, blogging and social networks
• Proven writing skills
• Strong knowledge of popular culture and an impeccable news sense
• Excellent communication and teamwork skills
Pay will be based in part on salary history. Location could, potentially, be just about anywhere -- but will require a topnotch Internet connection.
Please send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please make the subject line: Open Salon editor.
(We'll be posting this widely -- but I wanted to give Open members first crack. Relatedly, we have a several [rare] job openings at Salon right now. Check out the jobs page if you're interested.)