As you know, Edo and I just got back from a recent trip to Yosemite. There I had a lovely cocktail drink I would like to share with you. It was so AMAZING I had to tell myself to sip, just sip, ladies do not gulp! And, I only had one, more than that and I may have taken up rock climbing. But before I get to the recipe, I have a little favor to ask of you. Would you please click on the Youtube video for some mood music, this is my FAVORITE song right now, straight from the heart of Yosemite!
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large bunch basil, coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons gin
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- Basil sprigs, for garnish (optional)
1. Make basil syrup: In a large microwave-safe measuring cup, combine sugar, 3/4 cup water, and basil.
2. Microwave on high until sugar dissolves, 3 to 4 minutes.
3. Let basil steep in syrup 20 to 30 minutes, then strain (you'll have enough syrup for 4 drinks).
4. Fill 2 highball glasses with ice. Into each glass, pour 3 tbsp. gin, 4 tbsp. basil syrup, and 2 tbsp. lime juice. Stir and serve, garnished with basil sprigs.
Tip: Add lemon juice and chilled water to the leftover syrup and serve over ice for basil lemonade.
Sunset, APRIL 2009